PLEASE GIVE FEEDBACK ON FALL WORSHIP TIME (form below). MOST IMPORTANTLY, WE'D LOVE TO HEAR YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHY YOU DO OR DON'T HAVE A PREFERENCE FOR FALL WORSHIP TIME.
Here's a little background...When Salt House began worship in March of 2015, we held our Sunday services at 5:30 p.m. Do you remember that? And we switched to a 10:00 a.m. service beginning in June 2016. And we did that for a few reasons:
- Practically, it is unbearably hot in our sanctuary at 5:30pm when it’s hot outside – we have no AC and practically no insulation.
- We also did it as an experiment. It gave us a chance to experience what morning worship is like for us – and whether that works better for folks who want to be here.
And now as September approaches, we need to make a choice about our worship time – do we stay in the morning? Or do we switch back to the evening?
In preparation for making that decision, here is a little bit about what we’ve learned this summer:
- Attendance – We’ve compared attendence to the previous few months, as well as comparing to last summer. And while these are not perfect areas to compare, they at least to give us idea of whether folks are making it to the morning time. And our numbers have on average been up for the summer – which is great. We do know of a family and a few others who can’t make 10am work, so it’s definitely not 100%, but it’s encouraging to see those numbers.
- Our Young Adult Population - We’ve noticed that the majority of young adults who were coming in the evening continue to come in the morning. And that there are a few new young adults who have joined us this summer. (Initially, it was a group of about 15 young adults who chose the evening worship time for us originally, thinking that evenings would be best for young adults).
- Our Key Leaders - there are some for whom the morning works better. Nancy, our food guru, finds the morning 1000% easier for her to make meals happen for us and with us (yup, 1000% - we did the math). And honestly, the morning time has been easier, smoother, for Pastor Sara and Jason to serve well together here at Salt House with their kids.
So, we are considering keeping our worship time in the morning for the fall. But we haven’t made the decision yet, and you may have another perspective that we haven’t heard. We are asking for any input - things for us to consider. And no matter what, not everyone is going to feel the same way. There is no single best time that works best for everyone but we believe that wherever we land will be rooted in what we sense God is saying to us, making the best call we can make with what we know today.
At Salt House we are really all about experimenting. And when we do it, we do it with good cause, and we take time to evaluate it and move forward faithfully. Feel free to give Pastor Sara, or Jason Bendickson, or Kim Saunders any feedback this week via email, phone call, or talk to us today. Thank you, thank you!