by Kristin Trace
1. Construction is underway and it is amazing! 40% complete. To see all the materials we have gathered and procured in our basement is inspiring! We are still on target for a mid-October opening. See some photos posted on the Salt House Facebook page HERE.
2. There was a "Shower / House Warming" campaign at Holy Family Parish and the sheds there are overflowing with towels, dishes, appliances and other things which we will need to turn our house into a home. Abundance! It just shows that there's a lot of energy around this project and I feel a lot of gratitude for that.
3. Catholic Community Services has posted the jobs for the staff members needed. Please, if you know of anyone who wants to work in our Day Center, have them apply! We need good staff to assist our guests.
4. Pastor Sara has once again blown everyone away with her commitment and open heart. She (on behalf of Salt House) has answered the call to open the shelter on Sundays. This is a great time to serve our guests because often other services are closed on Sundays. In fact, there was an article recently which said that school age kids who could do laundry regularly had higher attendance. www.today.com/parents/schools-find-one-simple-answer-attendance-problem-washing-machines-t101318 So, YAY! The new hours are going to be 2:00 to 8:00 p.m., Sunday through Thursday. If more funding comes in, the hours and days may extend.
5. Speaking of funding! $477K raised so far. We need to get to $550K. Efforts are well under way to achieve this. However, a volunteer position we are needing filled is a Fundraiser. This would be someone with experience in Non-Profit Fundraising. If you know of anyone, please contact us. We are seeking nominations and interviewing potential volunteers for this pivotal position.
6. Sometime in September or early October, we will paint the whole basement. This date will be on very short notice, when the contractor says he is ready. As soon as he asks, we will put it out there for everyone and anyone who can show up to help is welcome.
7. Lastly, Volunteer Orientations. If you would like to volunteer in the shelter, you must attend an orientation. So far the response has been overwhelming. This past week, there were four volunteer trainings offered and we had literally hundreds of people go through these orientations. If you're interested in getting involved as a volunteer, please visit the NBDC website at www.nbpshelter.org/volunteer