At Salt House, we are in the midst of a kairos moment, a moment of significance, as we prayerfully consider selling a portion of our three acres of land to be developed into a 24-hour shelter for families and for women experiencing homelessness. We need your input. Together, we ask the questions we always ask: What is God saying? What will we do about it? We've listed notes below that were on the screen during last Sunday's presentation. If you have any questions for feedback, please e-mail us at email@example.com
Salt House is a ministry with a Christ-centered, casual, interactive, radically inclusive and experimental approach to worship + life together. Salt House reaches out to the fringes of our neighborhood – targeting young adults and all who find themselves in the liminal spaces of life.
NEW BETHLEHEM DAY CENTER UPDATE
- Helping families experiencing homelessness
- Estimated 10,000 people experiencing homelessness in King County, including several hundred children attending school in Lake Washington School District
- 40 people living in cars in the LWUMC church parking lot
- 50 beds in emergency overnight shelter which opened October 15
- Current hours: 2-8pm Sunday through Thursday
- Managed by Catholic Community Services
- Opened Sunday, November 6
- Currently serving 6-8 families, ~25 people (88 is limit)
- Becoming We with Day Center families
Urgent need for 24 / 7 / 365 emergency shelter / services hub on the Eastside
- Current patchwork of emergency overnight & day centers across several locations run by CCS (families) and Sophia’s Way (women)
City of Kirkland strong response, coordinated with other Eastside jurisdictions
- Capital funding committed & available now: $950,000 city (NEW); $350,000 state
- Operational funding discussion: King County, state, private
Salt House feasibility study with positive results
- ~20,000 square feet required to meet most urgent needs (~100 beds)
- 3 story building on small footprint (~parsonage parcel size)
- No major blockers (geotechnical/soils, parking, trees, environmental)
- Massing study/preliminary design completed by architect
Is Salt House willing to sell part of our property to the City to meet this need?
Is this use of our land aligned with our mission and vision?
Questions about financial feasibility will be discussed on Sunday, Dec. 4 over brunch (following worship) at Salt House.